From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --newuse misses package that new USE affects
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:50:34
1 glen martin schreef:
2 >
3 > As an aside, I wonder whether it is a good feature idea that
4 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="<keyword>" emerge <foo> without --oneshot should
5 > automatically add <foo> <keyword> to the package.keywords file.
8 That's an idea with some merit, but imo not enough (merit) to make it
9 feasible (but it's not my decision; submit a feature request and see
10 what happens).
11
12 You now know firsthand one of the many reasons that using
13 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS on the command line is *not* recommended.
14
15 It is a temporary setting, useful only for testing situations. The fact
16 that if you use it, then decide to make the testing situation permanent
17 but do not add a permanent setting (in package.keywords), you will
18 encounter problems of this sort underlines the nature of the setting
19 (temporary, temporary, use for explicit testing only; if you want a
20 permanent setting, make one explicitly).
21
22 The idea of having the temporary setting invisibly add a permanent
23 setting seems cool, but undermines both the function of the temporary
24 setting (since it's no longer truly temporary), and the function of the
25 permanent setting (since you have not explicitly made the setting, you
26 may or may not want it set), and what about dependencies? You'd have to
27 unmask them explicitly (or else you'll get a lot of "thus and so cannot
28 be installed because thus and so is masked" errors, and if you have to
29 do that, you've already destroyed any usefulness an automatic addition
30 might have had.
31
32 So it's not something for me, but I'm weird ;-) ; others might feel
33 differently.
34
35 Holly
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list