From: glen martin <lists@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --newuse misses package that new USE affects
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:21:40
1 Willie Wong wrote:
2
3 >On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 11:01:43AM -0800, glen martin wrote:
6 >>Seems a truism, but you're right. apache isn't in my world file.
7 >>somehow. And adding it to my world file does work around the symptom I
8 >>describe.
9 >>
10 >>This begs the question of why it isn't there, considering it is
11 >>installed. I must wonder, what else that I've installed has somehow not
12 >>been added to the world file. Perhaps I'm exposing my ignorance, but is
13 >>the world file not supposed to have everything that is installed and not
14 >>in the base system definition? Under what circumstances (other than
15 >>failed/aborted emerge, which didn't happen) could something fail to go
16 >>into world?
20 >simple. Maybe you installed apache with 'emerge --oneshot' which
21 >doesn't modify the world file. Maybe apache was installed as a
22 >dependency of something else, and that something else has since got
23 >removed.
24 >
25 Ok, so ignorance. :)
26
27 I've tracked down what happened and offer it up as a lesson.
28
29 I installed apache as a dependency of metadot. Metadot itself is masked
30 by ~x86, so I did that install with
31 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge metadot
32 a syntax I picked up from a HOWTO or FAQ or article someplace.
33
34 metadot was in the world file, but because it has no unmasked version,
35 without ~x86 it has no dependencies. So apache was not required by
36 "anything else in the system". Indeed, depclean offered to remove it,
37 despite the fact that it was in use, indeed was currently being used by
38 an active service.
39
40 On reflection, the right way to install metadot was not to use the
41 syntax above, but probably instead to use /etc/portage/package.keywords
42 to specify the ~x86 keyword for metadot permanently. Certainly
43 post-install, setting this caused --newuse to correspond better to my
44 expectations.
45
46 Thanks again to those whose suggestions and comments helped in tracking
47 this down.
48
49 As an aside, I wonder whether it is a good feature idea that
50 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="<keyword>" emerge <foo>
51 without --oneshot should automatically add <foo> <keyword> to the
52 package.keywords file.
53
54 glen
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list