From: sdoma <sdoma@××××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Decoding / encoding mp3 files
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:37:57
1 On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 18:12 +0200, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > On Friday 01 September 2006 17:47, sdoma wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I got some MP3 files which seem not to be properly coded. The
6 > > Interpret/Title information is missing for some, other show very ugly
7 > > time information in XMMS ( -234567:21, 893767:13 i.e.) but the
8 > > frame/duration in the MP3 info is correct.
9 > >
10 > > Are there any tools (preferred command line) to decode the MP3 (get a
11 > > raw audio file, wav or something similar) and in turn to code the MP3
12 > > with the proper information?
13 >
14 > even if there are tools - don't do it.
15 >
16 > The artist/title info is in the id4 tags - you can edit them with lots of
17 > tools, even inside most players. No need to recode them.
18 >
19 > And recoding: mp3 is a lossy format. If you turn them into wavs you have not
20 > only wavs based on reduced information, you remove the stuff that makes mp3
21 > sound 'better' than they are. If you encode them again, you are removing more
22 > information.
23 >
24 > So after such a circle the sound quality would be worse. A lot worse. Hardly
25 > bearable worse.
26 >
27 > Just say no to recoding.
28
29 Thanks for the hint.I've wodered about too if I can live with the
30 quality loss. I cann say that only if I try.
31 Well, I've tried to edit the ID4 within XMMS. I can edit this but
32 without changing the file. Saying this : I edit the tag, save it and
33 nothing changes.
34 Could you point me to some of the "lots of tools" you mentioned?
35 ... and what about the time information? It is silly to have a 3 minute
36 song with shows as days long and even negative duration :( (well, this
37 could be an ``unsigned int'' issue.
38
39 Thanks
40 Frank