From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Decoding / encoding mp3 files
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 17:06:24
1 On Friday 01 September 2006 18:21, sdoma wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 18:12 +0200, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
3 > > On Friday 01 September 2006 17:47, sdoma wrote:
4 > > > Hi,
5 > > >
6 > > > I got some MP3 files which seem not to be properly coded. The
7 > > > Interpret/Title information is missing for some, other show very ugly
8 > > > time information in XMMS ( -234567:21, 893767:13 i.e.) but the
9 > > > frame/duration in the MP3 info is correct.
10 > > >
11 > > > Are there any tools (preferred command line) to decode the MP3 (get a
12 > > > raw audio file, wav or something similar) and in turn to code the MP3
13 > > > with the proper information?
14 > >
15 > > even if there are tools - don't do it.
16 > >
17 > > The artist/title info is in the id4 tags - you can edit them with lots of
18 > > tools, even inside most players. No need to recode them.
19 > >
20 > > And recoding: mp3 is a lossy format. If you turn them into wavs you have
21 > > not only wavs based on reduced information, you remove the stuff that
22 > > makes mp3 sound 'better' than they are. If you encode them again, you are
23 > > removing more information.
24 > >
25 > > So after such a circle the sound quality would be worse. A lot worse.
26 > > Hardly bearable worse.
27 > >
28 > > Just say no to recoding.
29 >
30 > Thanks for the hint.I've wodered about too if I can live with the
31 > quality loss. I cann say that only if I try.
32 > Well, I've tried to edit the ID4 within XMMS. I can edit this but
33 > without changing the file. Saying this : I edit the tag, save it and
34 > nothing changes.
35 > Could you point me to some of the "lots of tools" you mentioned?
36
37 media-sound/audiotag
38 Latest version available: 0.15
39 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
40 Size of downloaded files: 14 kB
41 Homepage: http://www.tempestgames.com/ryan/
43 vorbis tags in mp3, ogg, and flac files.
44 License: GPL-2
45
46 * media-sound/cantus
47 Latest version available: 20060206
48 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
49 Size of downloaded files: 400 kB
50 Homepage: http://www.debain.org/software/cantus/
52 OGG/Vorbis
53 files
54 License: GPL-2
55
56 * media-sound/choad
57 Latest version available: 0.822
58 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
59 Size of downloaded files: 7 kB
60 Homepage: http://ftso.org/choad/index1.html
62 CD-ripping-ID3-tagging-and-mp3-encoding utility
63 License: Artistic
64
65 * media-sound/cowbell
66 Latest version available: 0.2.7.1
67 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
68 Size of downloaded files: 1,309 kB
69 Homepage: http://more-cowbell.org
71 License: GPL-2
72
73 * media-sound/easytag
74 Latest version available: 1.99.12
75 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
76 Size of downloaded files: 3,905 kB
77 Homepage: http://easytag.sourceforge.net/
79 License: GPL-2
80
81 * media-sound/id3
82 Latest version available: 0.12-r1
83 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
84 Size of downloaded files: 12 kB
85 Homepage: http://lly.org/~rcw/abcde/page/
88 media-sound/id3ed
89 Latest version available: 1.10.4
90 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
91 Size of downloaded files: 92 kB
92 Homepage: http://www.dakotacom.net/~donut/programs/id3ed.html
94 License: GPL-2
95
96 * media-sound/id3tool
97 Latest version available: 1.2
98 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
99 Size of downloaded files: 112 kB
100 Homepage: http://nekohako.xware.cx/id3tool/
102 tags present in MPEG Layer 3 audio files
103 License: GPL-2
104
105 * media-sound/id3v2
106 Latest version available: 0.1.11
107 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
108 Size of downloaded files: 153 kB
109 Homepage: http://id3v2.sourceforge.net/
111 License: GPL-2
112
113 media-sound/kid3
114 Latest version available: 0.6
115 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
116 Size of downloaded files: 2,529 kB
117 Homepage: http://kid3.sourceforge.net/
119 License: GPL-2
120
121 * media-sound/madman [ Masked ]
122 Latest version available: 0.93
123 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
124 Size of downloaded files: 1,606 kB
125 Homepage: http://madman.sourceforge.net/
127 License: GPL-2
128
129 * media-sound/mp3info
130 Latest version available: 0.8.4-r2
131 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
132 Size of downloaded files: 37 kB
133 Homepage: http://ibiblio.org/mp3info/
135 License: GPL-2
136
137 * media-sound/musicman
138 Latest version available: 0.15
139 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
140 Size of downloaded files: 1,423 kB
141 Homepage: http://musicman.sourceforge.net/
143 License: GPL-2
146 > ... and what about the time information? It is silly to have a 3 minute
147 > song with shows as days long and even negative duration :( (well, this
148 > could be an ``unsigned int'' issue.
149
150 I don't know how to fix it. But is it really so important? Do you watch the
151 timing information while listening to the song?
152 --
153 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list