From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] a question about emerge --sync
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 12:06:28
1 On 03/08/2014 13:04, Dale wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >> Am 02.08.2014 09:17, schrieb Dale:
4 >>> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
5 >>>> Am 01.08.2014 16:30, schrieb behrouz khosravi:
6 >>>>> Hello everybody.
7 >>>>> I have a little bandwidth problem. I don't want to update my packages
8 >>>>> very frequently.
9 >>>>> Is it save to sync my portage not very often, say every month or two,
10 >>>>> so when I install something I wont be warned that some of my packages
11 >>>>> are outdated?
12 >>>>> In this manner I wont need to mask my packages, to prevent them from
13 >>>>> updating, right ?
14 >>>>>
15 >>>>> Thanks.
16 >>>>>
17 >>>>> .
18 >>>>>
19 >>>> the longer you wait, the more problems you will have.
20 >>>>
21 >>>>
22 >>>> So sync often.
23 >>>>
24 >>>> Installing the actual updates? On a weekly basis is a good rule of thumb.
25 >>>>
26 >>>> And don't use --pretend, use --ask. Portage has become slow as f....
27 >>>> over time. You don't want to waste time to let it do the same twice.
28 >>>>
29 >>>> Also: read the manual. You obviously haven't - or did not understand
30 >>>> everything you read, so read again. For your own safety.
31 >>>>
32 >>>>
33 >>> Back when I was on dial-up, I did my updates on Monday I think it was.
34 >>> In the case of OOo, just downloading the tarball could take a couple
35 >>> days. Once a week is pretty good in my opinion as well. I'd be nervous
36 >>> about going months tho. On occasion that can get to be a bit much. If
37 >>> two nasty updates hit at the same time, it could get touchy.
38 >>>
39 >>> Dale
40 >>>
41 >>> :-) :-)
42 >>>
43 >>> .
44 >>>
45 >> back when I was responsible to keep 250 net-junkies online, the longer I
46 >> waited the worse the problems. And you only have so much time between
47 >> different WoW raids...
52 > True. I think the official claim is that once a year updates are
53 > supported. However, we have seen people that wait that long, and
54 > sometimes not even that long, and encounter a update process that deals
55 > with two or three deal breakers. I can't recall the package names but I
56 > know a couple packages can be a hair puller on their own.
57
58 icu, libxml, libpng and how can we forget
59
60 <shudder> hal </shudder>
61
62 and of course our recent friends python-exec as well as udev/upower-pm-utils
63
64 > When you add
65 > in two of them at the same time, it gets bad really fast. So you make
66 > a good point.
67 >
68 > That is the reason I wanted to do updates about every week when I was on
69 > dial-up. I might would go two weeks at times. Now that I have DSL, I
70 > update usually twice a week. If I am expecting say a upgrade of KDE in
71 > between, I may add one that week or just shuffle my schedule to make it
72 > include the KDE upgrades. I have found that the twice a week updates
73 > are usually easier than the weekly ones when I was on dial-up. The
74 > improvements in portage could account for some of that but still,
75 > avoiding having two major changes at the same time is a good idea. The
76 > devs do seem to try and spread those apart a little anyway. They can't
77 > hold them forever tho.
78 >
79 > While every day may be a bit much, waiting months has its own issues.
80 > Then again, someone missing their WoW game may be a issue of its own.
81 > They may get . . . angry. LOL
82
83 I think the main problem with long gaps between updates isn't that stuff
84 breaks in new weird, wonderful ways never seen before (although that can
85 happen)
86
87 The main problem is that you hit the same problems everyone else had and
88 solved months before and now can't remember what the solution was! Or
89 those who could help have forgotten about it, moved on and pay little
90 attention
91
92 If you update weekly or bi-weekly on ~arch or monthly on arch you
93 probably hit issues at the tail end when problems are fresh in people;'s
94 minds and you can get first-rate help right here
99 Alan McKinnon
100 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com