From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] a question about emerge --sync
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 11:04:36
1 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am 02.08.2014 09:17, schrieb Dale:
3 >> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 >>> Am 01.08.2014 16:30, schrieb behrouz khosravi:
5 >>>> Hello everybody.
6 >>>> I have a little bandwidth problem. I don't want to update my packages
7 >>>> very frequently.
8 >>>> Is it save to sync my portage not very often, say every month or two,
9 >>>> so when I install something I wont be warned that some of my packages
10 >>>> are outdated?
11 >>>> In this manner I wont need to mask my packages, to prevent them from
12 >>>> updating, right ?
13 >>>>
14 >>>> Thanks.
15 >>>>
16 >>>> .
17 >>>>
18 >>> the longer you wait, the more problems you will have.
19 >>>
20 >>>
21 >>> So sync often.
22 >>>
23 >>> Installing the actual updates? On a weekly basis is a good rule of thumb.
24 >>>
25 >>> And don't use --pretend, use --ask. Portage has become slow as f....
26 >>> over time. You don't want to waste time to let it do the same twice.
27 >>>
28 >>> Also: read the manual. You obviously haven't - or did not understand
29 >>> everything you read, so read again. For your own safety.
30 >>>
31 >>>
32 >> Back when I was on dial-up, I did my updates on Monday I think it was.
33 >> In the case of OOo, just downloading the tarball could take a couple
34 >> days. Once a week is pretty good in my opinion as well. I'd be nervous
35 >> about going months tho. On occasion that can get to be a bit much. If
36 >> two nasty updates hit at the same time, it could get touchy.
37 >>
38 >> Dale
39 >>
40 >> :-) :-)
41 >>
42 >> .
43 >>
44 > back when I was responsible to keep 250 net-junkies online, the longer I
45 > waited the worse the problems. And you only have so much time between
46 > different WoW raids...
51 True. I think the official claim is that once a year updates are
52 supported. However, we have seen people that wait that long, and
53 sometimes not even that long, and encounter a update process that deals
54 with two or three deal breakers. I can't recall the package names but I
55 know a couple packages can be a hair puller on their own. When you add
56 in two of them at the same time, it gets bad really fast. So you make
57 a good point.
58
59 That is the reason I wanted to do updates about every week when I was on
60 dial-up. I might would go two weeks at times. Now that I have DSL, I
61 update usually twice a week. If I am expecting say a upgrade of KDE in
62 between, I may add one that week or just shuffle my schedule to make it
63 include the KDE upgrades. I have found that the twice a week updates
64 are usually easier than the weekly ones when I was on dial-up. The
65 improvements in portage could account for some of that but still,
66 avoiding having two major changes at the same time is a good idea. The
67 devs do seem to try and spread those apart a little anyway. They can't
68 hold them forever tho.
69
70 While every day may be a bit much, waiting months has its own issues.
71 Then again, someone missing their WoW game may be a issue of its own.
72 They may get . . . angry. LOL
73
74 Dale
75