From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] a question about emerge --sync
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 18:37:35
1 Am 02.08.2014 09:17, schrieb Dale:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >> Am 01.08.2014 16:30, schrieb behrouz khosravi:
4 >>> Hello everybody.
5 >>> I have a little bandwidth problem. I don't want to update my packages
6 >>> very frequently.
7 >>> Is it save to sync my portage not very often, say every month or two,
8 >>> so when I install something I wont be warned that some of my packages
9 >>> are outdated?
10 >>> In this manner I wont need to mask my packages, to prevent them from
11 >>> updating, right ?
12 >>>
13 >>> Thanks.
14 >>>
15 >>> .
16 >>>
17 >> the longer you wait, the more problems you will have.
20 >> So sync often.
21 >>
22 >> Installing the actual updates? On a weekly basis is a good rule of thumb.
23 >>
24 >> And don't use --pretend, use --ask. Portage has become slow as f....
25 >> over time. You don't want to waste time to let it do the same twice.
26 >>
27 >> Also: read the manual. You obviously haven't - or did not understand
28 >> everything you read, so read again. For your own safety.
31 > Back when I was on dial-up, I did my updates on Monday I think it was.
32 > In the case of OOo, just downloading the tarball could take a couple
33 > days. Once a week is pretty good in my opinion as well. I'd be nervous
34 > about going months tho. On occasion that can get to be a bit much. If
35 > two nasty updates hit at the same time, it could get touchy.
36 >
37 > Dale
38 >
40 >
41 > .
42 >
43 back when I was responsible to keep 250 net-junkies online, the longer I
44 waited the worse the problems. And you only have so much time between
45 different WoW raids...