From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] a question about emerge --sync
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 07:17:29
1 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am 01.08.2014 16:30, schrieb behrouz khosravi:
3 >> Hello everybody.
4 >> I have a little bandwidth problem. I don't want to update my packages
5 >> very frequently.
6 >> Is it save to sync my portage not very often, say every month or two,
7 >> so when I install something I wont be warned that some of my packages
8 >> are outdated?
9 >> In this manner I wont need to mask my packages, to prevent them from
10 >> updating, right ?
11 >>
12 >> Thanks.
13 >>
14 >> .
15 >>
16 > the longer you wait, the more problems you will have.
19 > So sync often.
20 >
21 > Installing the actual updates? On a weekly basis is a good rule of thumb.
22 >
23 > And don't use --pretend, use --ask. Portage has become slow as f....
24 > over time. You don't want to waste time to let it do the same twice.
25 >
26 > Also: read the manual. You obviously haven't - or did not understand
27 > everything you read, so read again. For your own safety.
31 Back when I was on dial-up, I did my updates on Monday I think it was.
32 In the case of OOo, just downloading the tarball could take a couple
33 days. Once a week is pretty good in my opinion as well. I'd be nervous
34 about going months tho. On occasion that can get to be a bit much. If
35 two nasty updates hit at the same time, it could get touchy.
36
37 Dale
38