From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:08:04
1 On Sunday 16 January 2011 10:48:45 Dale wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
3
4 > > You can't emerge nvidia-drivers if /usr/src/linux points to a
5 > > kernel version other than the currently running one - it complains
6 > > it can't find a valid kernel config. This means that, after
7 > > emerging a new kernel version, it's necessary to reboot with the
8 > > new kernel (and fail to start X) before it's possible to remerge
9 > > nvidia-drivers to suit the new kernel - you can't do it in
10 > > advance.
11
12 > In the past when I do a kernel upgrade, I have linked to the new
13 > kernel, emerged nvidia drivers then rebooted to the new kernel. It
14 > worked fine for me. I haven't done that in a while since I just
15 > built a new rig but I have done that in the past many times.
16 >
17 > Is this something new?
18
19 It could easily be, yes. I remember being surprised once last year when
20 it happened, and since then it's been every time - enough that I've
21 written a tiny script to remerge drivers and vbox, then restart xdm. The
22 difference may be my ~amd64 system and consequent later versions of
23 nvidia-drivers.
26 Rgds
27 Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.