From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:58:13
1 On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:06:30 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > > > You can't emerge nvidia-drivers if /usr/src/linux points to a
4 > > > kernel version other than the currently running one - it complains
5 > > > it can't find a valid kernel config. This means that, after
6 > > > emerging a new kernel version, it's necessary to reboot with the
7 > > > new kernel (and fail to start X) before it's possible to remerge
8 > > > nvidia-drivers to suit the new kernel - you can't do it in
9 > > > advance.
10 >
11 > > In the past when I do a kernel upgrade, I have linked to the new
12 > > kernel, emerged nvidia drivers then rebooted to the new kernel. It
13 > > worked fine for me. I haven't done that in a while since I just
14 > > built a new rig but I have done that in the past many times.
15 > >
16 > > Is this something new?
17 >
18 > It could easily be, yes. I remember being surprised once last year when
19 > it happened, and since then it's been every time - enough that I've
20 > written a tiny script to remerge drivers and vbox, then restart xdm.
21 > The difference may be my ~amd64 system and consequent later versions of
22 > nvidia-drivers.
23
24 I don't have this problem. You could only see this error
25 if /usr/src/linux/.config does not exist. As long as you have run make
26 oldconfig, the drivers should build, although I only build them after
27 compiling the kernel (but before rebooting).