From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Binary install distro
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 19:29:34
1 Am 13.11.2011 19:26, schrieb Mick:
2 > On Sunday 13 Nov 2011 10:45:46 Lorenzo Bandieri wrote:
3 >>> One more question. What is a easy to install but WELL tested and STABLE
4 >>> binary distro? I'm thinking something that needs a update 2 or 3 times a
5 >>> year or something.
6 >>
7 >> If you want a *really* well tested and *really* stable linux binary
8 >> distro, Debian stable is your friend :D
9 >>
10 >> I have a debian install on my home desktop (used by my sister and my
11 >> parents); I choosed debian basically because I didn't wanted to
12 >> bother: I just wanted to install and update once in a while. I'm
13 >> really happy with it.
14 >>
15 >> Pros:
16 >> - stable
17 >> - tested
18 >> - once configured, requires minimal maintenance. Basically, all you
19 >> have to do is apt-get update && apt-get upgrade once in while. It'll
20 >> install only security fixes. No headaches, no massive breakage or
21 >> something. At least, this is my experience.
22 >> - easy and fast installation
23 >>
24 >> Cons:
25 >> - softwares tend to be outdated on stable. On my debian stable I have
26 >> Gnome 2.30.2, Firefox (iceweasel) 3.5.16, OpenOffice 3.2.1... Consider
27 >> that debian stable versions are released, on average, every two years.
28 >> - debian has its own way to do things. I had to get used to it...
29 >> - the default DE is gnome; if you want kde you have to install
30 >> yourself, and, needless to say, it is not the last version [1]
31 >>
32 >> The biggest cons about debian stable is outdated software... If you
33 >> can cope with it/it is not a priority, give it a try.
34 >>
35 >> Otherwise, the previous suggestions (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, OpenSUSE etc)
36 >> are all good choiches - stable, tested, up-to-date.
37 >>
38 >> [1] http://packages.debian.org/en/squeeze/kde-full
39 >
40 > From what I've come across Ubuntu seems to be the only distro that has
41 > automatic upgrades - i.e. some sort of script which will upgrade your distro
42 > to the next version without having to completely reinstall. I think I've been
43 > through one such upgrade cycle without any breakage. Gentoo it ain't, but on
44 > the other hand I value this seamless upgrade of Ubuntu as one of its plusses
45 > compared to other distros which require a re-installation.
46
47 Scientific Linux (and probably all other RHEL clones) can do this, too.
48 At least for updates of the minor version number (5.6 -> 5.7, for example).
49
50 This is more or less a middle ground: Between minor versions, binary
51 compatibility is (mostly?) ensured, especially for libraries and runtime
52 environments (great if you still need a python-2.4 installation with
53 regular security fixes). Older major numbers are also still released and
54 maintained after the next major update happened (e.g. 5.7 was released
55 after 6.0), therefore you can update at your own convenience.
56
57 Regards,
58 Florian Philipp