From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Binary install distro
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 18:28:13
1 On Sunday 13 Nov 2011 10:45:46 Lorenzo Bandieri wrote:
2 > > One more question. What is a easy to install but WELL tested and STABLE
3 > > binary distro? I'm thinking something that needs a update 2 or 3 times a
4 > > year or something.
5 >
6 > If you want a *really* well tested and *really* stable linux binary
7 > distro, Debian stable is your friend :D
8 >
9 > I have a debian install on my home desktop (used by my sister and my
10 > parents); I choosed debian basically because I didn't wanted to
11 > bother: I just wanted to install and update once in a while. I'm
12 > really happy with it.
13 >
14 > Pros:
15 > - stable
16 > - tested
17 > - once configured, requires minimal maintenance. Basically, all you
18 > have to do is apt-get update && apt-get upgrade once in while. It'll
19 > install only security fixes. No headaches, no massive breakage or
20 > something. At least, this is my experience.
21 > - easy and fast installation
22 >
23 > Cons:
24 > - softwares tend to be outdated on stable. On my debian stable I have
25 > Gnome 2.30.2, Firefox (iceweasel) 3.5.16, OpenOffice 3.2.1... Consider
26 > that debian stable versions are released, on average, every two years.
27 > - debian has its own way to do things. I had to get used to it...
28 > - the default DE is gnome; if you want kde you have to install
29 > yourself, and, needless to say, it is not the last version [1]
30 >
31 > The biggest cons about debian stable is outdated software... If you
32 > can cope with it/it is not a priority, give it a try.
33 >
34 > Otherwise, the previous suggestions (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, OpenSUSE etc)
35 > are all good choiches - stable, tested, up-to-date.
36 >
37 > [1] http://packages.debian.org/en/squeeze/kde-full
38
39 From what I've come across Ubuntu seems to be the only distro that has
40 automatic upgrades - i.e. some sort of script which will upgrade your distro
41 to the next version without having to completely reinstall. I think I've been
42 through one such upgrade cycle without any breakage. Gentoo it ain't, but on
43 the other hand I value this seamless upgrade of Ubuntu as one of its plusses
44 compared to other distros which require a re-installation.
45 --
46 Regards,
47 Mick