From: Lorenzo Bandieri <lorenzo.bandieri@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Binary install distro
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 10:46:54
1 > One more question.  What is a easy to install but WELL tested and STABLE
2 > binary distro?  I'm thinking something that needs a update 2 or 3 times a
3 > year or something.
4
5 If you want a *really* well tested and *really* stable linux binary
6 distro, Debian stable is your friend :D
7
8 I have a debian install on my home desktop (used by my sister and my
9 parents); I choosed debian basically because I didn't wanted to
10 bother: I just wanted to install and update once in a while. I'm
11 really happy with it.
12
13 Pros:
14 - stable
15 - tested
16 - once configured, requires minimal maintenance. Basically, all you
17 have to do is apt-get update && apt-get upgrade once in while. It'll
18 install only security fixes. No headaches, no massive breakage or
19 something. At least, this is my experience.
20 - easy and fast installation
21
22 Cons:
23 - softwares tend to be outdated on stable. On my debian stable I have
24 Gnome 2.30.2, Firefox (iceweasel) 3.5.16, OpenOffice 3.2.1... Consider
25 that debian stable versions are released, on average, every two years.
26 - debian has its own way to do things. I had to get used to it...
27 - the default DE is gnome; if you want kde you have to install
28 yourself, and, needless to say, it is not the last version [1]
29
30 The biggest cons about debian stable is outdated software... If you
31 can cope with it/it is not a priority, give it a try.
32
33 Otherwise, the previous suggestions (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, OpenSUSE etc)
34 are all good choiches - stable, tested, up-to-date.
35
36 [1] http://packages.debian.org/en/squeeze/kde-full
37
38 Best regards,