From: Fredrik Tolf <fredrik@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Font problems with xorg-x11 7.0
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 03:20:43
1 Hi List!
2
3 I recently upgraded xorg-x11 to 7.0, as it was unmasked in stable.
4 However, I was given some font problems along with the upgrade. I haven't
5 found anything on either Google or on bugs.gentoo.org, so I'm turning to
6 the list now.
9 My main problem is that xfs (the X font server, not the filesystem) hogs
10 the CPU for about 2-3 seconds whenever I start a new xterm, blocking the
11 new xterm during that time. I haven't found the exact extent of programs
12 affected by the problem -- right now, I only know that xterm and twm are
13 affected.
14
15 I've tried turning off xfs and moving the FontPaths into the X server
16 itself, but that only made the problem worse (taking 6+ seconds instead).
17
18 Also, when I'm starting xterms from other machines, they don't seem to
19 care at all, so I'm guessing that the xterm on my own machine is looking
20 for some fonts for which the parameters have somehow changed in 7.0 (I'm
21 not very familiar with the X font system, so I don't really know what
22 could have changed). It might be related that I am able to view CJK
23 characters in the local xterms, but not the remote ones (they display `??'
24 instead of one double-width character).
27 There is also another, unrelated and rather minor, problem: The 8x16
28 fixed font seems to have disappeared in 7.0. Does anyone know where it went?
31 Thanks for reading!
32
33 Fredrik Tolf
34 --