From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Font problems with xorg-x11 7.0
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 06:49:43
1 Fredrik Tolf wrote:
2 > Hi List!
3 >
4 > I recently upgraded xorg-x11 to 7.0, as it was unmasked in stable.
5 > However, I was given some font problems along with the upgrade. I
6 > haven't found anything on either Google or on bugs.gentoo.org, so I'm
7 > turning to the list now.
10 > My main problem is that xfs (the X font server, not the filesystem) hogs
11 > the CPU for about 2-3 seconds whenever I start a new xterm, blocking the
12 > new xterm during that time. I haven't found the exact extent of programs
13 > affected by the problem -- right now, I only know that xterm and twm are
14 > affected.
15 >
16 > I've tried turning off xfs and moving the FontPaths into the X server
17 > itself, but that only made the problem worse (taking 6+ seconds instead).
18
19 Does a symlink /usr/share/fonts/fonts exist?
20
21 > There is also another, unrelated and rather minor, problem: The 8x16
22 > fixed font seems to have disappeared in 7.0. Does anyone know where it
23 > went?
24
25 Try font-schumacher-misc or font-sony-misc.
26
27 Thanks,
28 Donnie