From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 00:23:58
1 On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 07:44:49 +0000 jarmstrong@×××××.com wrote:
2 | I use Gentoo to run all my boxen and I love it. That being said, I
3 | have ALWAYS done a stage1 install. Never had a single problem I
4 | couldn't fix. Then, suddenly, they switched everything to stage3 and
5 | removed a LOT of options from the Gentoo build process.
6
7 Pff, no we didn't. You can still do a stage1 if you really want to, but
8 it's no longer necessary.
9
10 See, stage1s exist because when stages were built with stager, using a
11 stage1 was the only way to get a complete correct vdb. These days we
12 use catalyst, not stager, and even stage3s come with a correct vdb.
13 There's no longer a need for a stage1.
14
15 If you still want all the choice, which is entirely reasonable for some
16 people, then install from a stage3, customise whatever you want and
17 then do emerge -e world twice. You'll get the same end result, and not
18 have all the problems with circular dependencies.
19
20 [ Note: looks like I'm missing half this thread because certain
21 jackasses are posting HTML messages to the list. You'd think people
22 would've learned by now... ]
25 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Look! Shiny things!)
26 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
27 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm