From: jarmstrong@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:16:54
1 <SNIP>
2
3 I use Gentoo to run all my boxen and I love it. That being said, I have
4 ALWAYS done a stage1 install. Never had a single problem I couldn't fix.
5 Then, suddenly, they switched everything to stage3 and removed a LOT of
6 options from the Gentoo build process. I LIKED being able to modify the
7 bootstrap script. I LIKED editing the ebuilds for certain important system
8 packages during initial system build. Why have they now decided to force us
9 to rebuild our systems if we want to tweak settings? Now I must use a larger
10 hard disc for an install, as all ebuilds install userland binaries
11 to /usr/bin, even if I want to install to /usr/local/netshare/bin as a
12 network shared executable. This a VERY inconvenient, since some system
13 packages (loggers, cron daemons) can be installed on a single server and
14 referenced from other boxen to reduce dependency on hard disk installs. Just
15 a rant here, but Gentoo used to be about choices. Now one of the biggest
16 choices in the Gentoo universe has been taken away from the user. Is Gentoo
17 becoming just another canned off-the-shelf *nix distro?
18
19 Joshua Armstrong
20 jarmstrong@×××××.com
21