From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't ping remote system
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 15:09:33
1 >> My laptop can't ping my remote system but it can ping others
2 >> (google.com, yahoo.com, etc). I've tried disabling my firewall on
3 >> both ends with '/etc/init.d/shorewall stop && shorewall clear'. Could
4 >> my AT&T business ADSL connection on the remote system be blocking
5 >> inbound pings?
6 >
7 > A possible reason is that the packet filter on your router is blocking this.
8 > (Meaning the router that also houses the ADSL modem.) And it's actually the
9 > router itself that replies to pings; the packets never make it to your
10 > machine. Usually there's a setting in the router's settings page where you
11 > can allow ICMP replies.
12 >
13 > So it's worth digging into the router's settings and see what you can find,
14 > if this is the setup you have. But since you mentioned "business
15 > connection", you might actually not have such a SOHO router + modem combo.
16
17 I bet you're right. This sort of thing occurred to me earlier so I
18 went to look for that type of setting but I need the access code from
19 the bottom of the device which I can't get until tomorrow. I will try
20 then and report back.
21
22 Thanks,
23 Grant