From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: k3b and now NTFS access rights
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 10:36:53
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Neil Bothwick [mailto:neil@××××××××××.uk]
3 > Sent: 05 January 2006 00:55
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: k3b and now NTFS access rights
6 >
7 > There is, set a suitable umask value. By default, NTFS partitions are
8 > mounted readable only by the user that mounted them. Setting umask=222
9 > makes them readable by everyone, but still writable by no-one
10 > (although
11 > NTFS is usually mounted ro so this makes little difference).
12 > See the NTFS
13 > section of man mount.
14
15 Thanks! I've read the manual and then tried different umask options.
16 Umask=222 seems the most reasonable for what I need. I noticed that the
17 different subdirectories and files automatically inherit the allocated
18 NTFS partition access rights. Is this how umask in fstab works
19 (recursively)?
20
21 On a hypothetical case where you want to give different access rights to
22 all/some subdorectories & files, do you have to set these individually
23 the first time after mounting the partition, use ACL's, or what else?
24
25 Sorry if my questions appear silly - I've always been confused by this
26 topic and its different permutations.
27 --
28 Regards,
29 Mick
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list