From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About using only precompiled pkgs
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2017 13:12:46
1 On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I skimmed thru some of the documentation about using binary pkgs
3 > online, but it kind of indicated it might not be possible to get
4 > everything in that format.
5
6 As long as you use the default USE flags I don't see why you wouldn't
7 be able to get everything online which is binary-redistributable. If
8 you want USE=-bindist (which most people do) that list is going to be
9 smaller.
10
11 The biggest issue is that I don't think anybody maintains a public
12 repository of packages. Tools exist to build one, and I'm sure that
13 organizations may use these internally. However, there isn't anywhere
14 a user can just point portage at and ask it to go fetching binary
15 packages.
18 > Wondering if using mostly binary pkgs is a biggish hassle or if it can
19 > be done... and done without the time-sink always involved in `emerge
20 > world'..(over time)?
21
22 For a single system there isn't much benefit in general, though for
23 reinstalls you can certainly save binary packages of everything you do
24 build. I do this for everything I build. I also have Gentoo
25 pre-build binary packages where it can overnight so that I can do
26 quick installs during the day after reviewing the list of new packages
27 to install.
28
29 However, I'm still building everything once no matter what, so it
30 doesn't save on CPU. I'm just time-shifting the builds to before when
31 I review the package update list (I don't blindly install updates).
32
33 If I had multiple identical hosts then the binary packages would
34 probably save me a heap of time though.
35
36 > So, can someone be a gentoo user and NOT subscribe to one of the
37 > main tenets of the gentoo view of things.
38
39 Building packages is a means to an end - finding ways to do it only as
40 much as possible merely makes you efficient, and I'd certainly say
41 that this is in the spirit of Gentoo.
42
43 I'd love to see a Gentoo binary repository with default USE flags,
44 with the package manager being smart enough to find whether the
45 configuration it wants to install happens to be pre-built. Users
46 could still tweak USE flags. Obviously tweaking global USE flags is
47 going to make most of the binary packages useless and it would fall
48 back to current behavior. However, if you only wanted to tweak flags
49 that impact a subset of the packages you'd benefit from the binary
50 builds of anything your settings didn't touch.
51
52 CFLAGS would be a bigger problem. While I imagine that we could have
53 more than one set of those pre-built we certainly couldn't cover every
54 variation Gentoo users want. CFLAGS have a much wider impact than
55 even USE flags.
56
57 Something like this would probably also drive changes like changing
58 USE=-docs to an install mask. There is no sense keeping two versions
59 of a binary package around just to avoid installing docs.
62 Rich