From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KVM problems - anyone know _why_ it happens?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 20:54:18
1 On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 12:18:17 -0800
2 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
5 > wrote:
6 > > On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
7 > > wrote:
8 > <SNIP>
9 > >>
10 > >> Also, thanks for the pointer to xvidtune. Interesting little app.
11 > >> QUESTION: Do you know how to get the data for each monitor/video
12 > >> card combo? So far I haven't figured out how to tell it Screen2.
13 > >> Seems to only give me Screen0 as best I can tell.
14 > >>
15 > >> I'm a bit nervous to just start trying things.
16 > >
17 > > If you're not using Xinerama, you can specify screens by changing
18 > > $DISPLAY. e.g. :0.0 is screen 0, :0.1 is screen 1, :0.2 is screen
19 > > 2...
22 > I am using xinerama. 3 monitors across 2 NVidia adpaters. Same on my
23 > friends system.
24 >
25 > One interesting thing about this configuration. On his machine he uses
26 > two identical 8400GS adapters. He can run glxgears and is able to move
27 > the gears to any screen and see the gears. He can also use the KDE
28 > features to look at all desktops and application using (Ctrl-F8 I
29 > think) or by dragging his mouse to the upper left corner.
30 >
31 > On my setup I use a GTX465 for screen 0 & 1 but have an NVidia 8400GS
32 > for screen 2. On this system I only see the gears on screen 0 & 1. On
33 > screen 2 I see just a black box and the FPS count skyrockets as the
34 > CPU/GPU aren't really doing anything so it goes through the loop very
35 > fast. Also, on this system the Ctrl-F8 thing mouse to the upper left
36 > corner don't work at all.
37 >
38 > I've assumed that's because I'm using two different NVidia cards.
39 >
40 > - Mark
43 The docs for the nVidia driver go into this in quite some detail, and
44 it's related to how the nVidia hardware is built plus how the nVidia
45 software works plus how Xinerama works. Basically, not all combinations
46 are supported, especially when you have different "screens" (that's the
47 nVidia concept of a screen, not the X concept) with different
48 resolutions on different GPUs. Or something like that, but I don;t have
49 the docs to have anymore since my last 8600M went to visit the silicon
50 daddy in the sky
53 Alan McKinnnon
54 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com