From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} SSD instead of RAID1?
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 14:59:19
1 On Thursday 30 July 2009 15:47:18 Grant wrote:
2 > > Not true. I have machines with zero swap and they work just fine. I am
3 > > utterly unconcerned with out of memory conditions as whether you have
4 > > swap or not, when virtual memory runs out, either way you have a horrible
5 > > cockup that is hard to fix. Then there's the oom-killer that comes along,
6 > > stomps all over everything and just makes it worse.
7 >
8 > Sounds good. Will commenting the swap line out of /etc/fstab and
9 > rebooting disable swap?
10
11 Yes. Or you can just use swapoff as root.
12
13 > In order to resize the root partition to
14 > include the swap paritition, I'll have to boot to LiveCD right?
15
16 It's safest, but not always necessary.
17
18 If your partition table is laid out with the swap partition directly after the
19 root partition, you can delete both, recreate the root partition the same size
20 as both together. The new root partition must start where the old one did.
21 Renumber the partitions and remember to adjust fstab if you mount by device
22 number. Then resize the root file system. The filesystem and your kernel must
23 support this.
24
25 If your root partition and swap partition are logical partitions in fdisk,
26 this will probably fail. I do not know why, but I never got this to work.
27 Physical partitions work just fine.
28
29 That's a lot of "ifs".
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com