From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] new sys-apps/hal-0.5.11: changing keyboard layout
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 22:22:52
1 Hi,
2
3 have you noticed the hal update?
4
5 It just informed me about some trouble concerning my keyboard-layout.
6 Keyboards as well as mice are now added automatically to xorg (and the
7 evdev driver is used - hooray! always wanted to use evdev).
8
9 Yet, they are always added with us keyboard layout. So hal's ebuild
10 suggested, that i use gnome's keyboard settings or that i use setxkbmap
11 to override the us-setting.
12
13 So my first thought was: how to hell do i tell gdm to use "de" keyboard
14 layout?
15
16 So what's the answer? How do i do it properly? How do i tell xorg-x11 to
17 use "de" layout for all hot-plugged keyboards?
18 Because gdm offers no keyboard-settings, as far as i know. And since my
19 keyboard is "qwertz", i see a "y" when typing a "z" in gdm. gnome
20 settings kick in AFTER logging in - so that's pretty useless for gdm.
23 Regards,
24 Sven