From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choice of TLD for internal network
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 17:22:21
1 On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 7:57 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 12/18/2017 03:25 PM, David Haller wrote:
3 >>
4 >> ISTR, .localdomain is the new .local...
5 >>
6 >> BTW: I hate it how .local got ursurped by zeroconf/mDNS.
9 > You were never allowed to use .local in the first place =P
10 >
11 > I learned some interesting things from RFC 8244, the first being that
12 > they have an up-to-date list of reserved names:
13 >
14 > https://www.iana.org/assignments/special-use-domain-names/special-use-domain-names.xhtml
15 >
16 > and the second being that there are two exceptions, because oops, they
17 > didn't follow their own rules (.home and ipv4only.arpa). localdomain
18 > isn't on there.
19 >
20 > There are no safe, free names to use for an internal network. On the one
21 > hand, RFC 8244 makes a decent argument that this is a good thing,
22 > because it guarantees that every hostname is globally unique (so if I
23 > copy/paste a URL to you, it goes the same place on your machine as it
24 > did mine). On the other hand, I hate the idea of paying some bureaucrat
25 > to be able to use my own network.
28 There are; .local and .localhost are reserved TLDs. Further, any name
29 without a TLD is unlikely to resolve without a major reworking of the
30 DNS system. Likewise it seems unlikely anyone will ever be able to
31 register ".localdomain" similar to how ".com" is not registered.
32
33 http://www.iana.org/assignments/special-use-domain-names/special-use-domain-names.xhtml
34
35 I don't understand all of this discussion. There exist vacant TLDs -
36 .local was first and was fine, so why did anybody change? Why does
37 neth need a name with two dots? None of this makes any sense. Do
38 people keep making stuff up without reading first?
39
40 Cheers,
41 R0b0t1