From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cryptsetup close and device in use when it is not
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 16:05:43
1 On 26/07/21 22:00, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 06:10:19PM -0500 schrieb Dale:
7 >> I've had more drives go bad when using USB enclosures than I've ever had
8 >> on IDE or (e)SATA.
9 >
10 > Interesting, I can’t really confirm such a correlation from the drives I
11 > have lying around. And I don’t see how USB can cause damage to a drive.
12 > Except for physical impacts owing to the fact that USB drives are easily
13 > moved around.
14 >
15 >> I've had two drives fail after years of service that were IDE or SATA. I
16 >> have three drives that are bricks and all of them were in USB enclosures
17 >> and far young to die.
18
19 I've bought "add your own drive" USB enclosures, and ime they kill
20 drives. The big one killed a 3.5" drive dead, and the little one stunned
21 a 2.5" (as in, it no longer worked in the enclosure, I managed to revive
22 it ...)
23
24 I've never had any internal drives die on me (although I have rescued
25 other peoples' dead drives).
26 >
27 > Perhaps they became too hot during operation. Enclosures don’t usually
28 > account for thermals. Didn’t you mention you lived in a hot area?
29 >
30 >> I paid more for eSATA external enclosures and have had no
31 >> problems with drives going dead yet. All of them have far surpassed the
32 >> drives in the USB enclosures.
33
34 I've now bought a dual USB/SATA chassis you can hot-plug the drives
35 into. I haven't used that enough to form opinions on its reliability.
40 >> I think my drives are either Seagate or WD. I tend to stick with those
41 >> two, unless it is a really awesome deal.
42 >
43 > Yea. First the SMR fiasco became public and then there was some other PR
44 > stunt they did that I can’t remember right now, and I said “I can’t buy WD
45 > anymore”. But there is no real alternative these days. And CMR drives are
46 > becoming ever rarer, especially in the 2.5″ realm. Except for one single
47 > seagate model, there isn’t even a bare SATA drive above 2 TB available on
48 > the market! Everything above that size is external USB stuff. And those
49 > disks don’t come with standard SATA connectors anymore, but have the USB
50 > socket soldered onto their PCB.
51 >
52 Are you talking 2.5" drives here? There are plenty of 3.5" large CMR
53 drives. But as far as I can tell there are effectively only three drive
54 manufacturers left - Seagate, WD and Toshiba.
55
56 The SMR stunt was a real cock-up as far as raid was concerned - they
57 moved their WD Red "ideal for raid and NAS" drives over to SMR and
58 promptly started killing raid arrays left right and centre as people
59 replaced drives ... you now need Red Pro so the advice for raid is just
60 "Avoid WD".
61
62 From what I can make out with Seagate, the old Barracuda line is pretty
63 much all CMR, they had just started making some of them SMR when the
64 brown stuff hit the rotating blades. So now it seems pretty clear, they
65 renamed the SMR drives BarraCuda (note the *slight* change), and they
66 still make CMR drives as FireCuda. Toshiba "I know nuttin'".
67
68 Cheers,
69 Wol
70