From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, mlangc@×××.at
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenOffice build failed.
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 19:39:25
1 From: Matthias Langer <mlangc@×××.at>
2 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenOffice build failed.
3 Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 21:14:25 +0200
4
5 > <snip>
6 > > CFLAGS="-O3 -m3dnow -march=athlon-xp -mtune=athlon64 -msse -msse2 -msse3 -m3dnow -mfpmath=sse -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -finline-functions -falign-functions=4 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2"
7 > <snip>
8 >
9 > Before doing anything else, please clean up your CFLAGS and do
10 > "# emerge -e system; emerge -e world"
11 >
12 > If you realy want x86 (with your cpu i would reinstall an amd64 system
13 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml) then use:
14 >
15 > CFLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-xp -fomit-frame-pointer"
16 >
17 > because, mostly all of your flags are redundant and the combination
18 > "-march=athlon-xp -mtune=athlon64" will give you nothing but maybe
19 > broken compiler output.
20 >
21 > You may also be interested in these pages:
22 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags
23 > http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/Optimize-Options.html#Optimize-Options
24 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/CFLAGS
25 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/CFLAGS_matrix
26 >
27 > HTH,
28 > Matthias
33 > --
34 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
37 My decision against 64 bit and pro 32 was done, cause 64 bit gives me
38 a performance gain only in some special cirumstances (beside only a
39 few others: when rendering with 64 Bit aware Raytracers) but gives me
40 for sure trouble with software, which isn't 64Bit-ready (according to
41 different articles of the german c't computer magazine (Heise press).
42
43 When changing CFLAGs on half the way...do I have to recompile my whole
44 system? And -- only from the logical point of view -- redundancy may
45 be not a sign of cleverness not a sign of cleverness but it does not
46 hurt does not hurt the overall context since it instructs the compiler
47 twice to do the same?!
48
49 Bad compiler output is another thing.
50
51 Keep hacking!
52 mcc
53 --