From: Matthias Langer <mlangc@×××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenOffice build failed.
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 22:28:28
1 On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 21:31 +0200, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
2 > From: Matthias Langer <mlangc@×××.at>
3 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenOffice build failed.
4 > Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 21:14:25 +0200
5 >
6 > > <snip>
7 > > > CFLAGS="-O3 -m3dnow -march=athlon-xp -mtune=athlon64 -msse -msse2 -msse3 -m3dnow -mfpmath=sse -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -finline-functions -falign-functions=4 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2"
8 > > <snip>
9 > >
10 > > Before doing anything else, please clean up your CFLAGS and do
11 > > "# emerge -e system; emerge -e world"
12 > >
13 > > If you realy want x86 (with your cpu i would reinstall an amd64 system
14 > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml) then use:
15 > >
16 > > CFLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-xp -fomit-frame-pointer"
17 > >
18 > > because, mostly all of your flags are redundant and the combination
19 > > "-march=athlon-xp -mtune=athlon64" will give you nothing but maybe
20 > > broken compiler output.
21 > >
22 > > You may also be interested in these pages:
23 > > http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags
24 > > http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/Optimize-Options.html#Optimize-Options
25 > > http://gentoo-wiki.com/CFLAGS
26 > > http://gentoo-wiki.com/CFLAGS_matrix
27 > >
28 > > HTH,
29 > > Matthias
34 > > --
35 > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
38 > My decision against 64 bit and pro 32 was done, cause 64 bit gives me
39 > a performance gain only in some special cirumstances (beside only a
40 > few others: when rendering with 64 Bit aware Raytracers) but gives me
41 > for sure trouble with software, which isn't 64Bit-ready (according to
42 > different articles of the german c't computer magazine (Heise press).
43 >
44 > When changing CFLAGs on half the way...do I have to recompile my whole
45 > system? And -- only from the logical point of view -- redundancy may
46 > be not a sign of cleverness not a sign of cleverness but it does not
47 > hurt does not hurt the overall context since it instructs the compiler
48 > twice to do the same?!
51 Of course, redunant compiler options should not do any harm but:
52 1.) they are difficult to read for people that may help you.
53 2.) -O3 turns on a group of compiler switches that are veryfied by
54 by the gcc devs to produce good results. The group of these
55 switches may change from time to time. Without further invention,
56 your custum, today redunant swiches, may break your system
57 tomorrow, after you have choosen to do a compiler upgrade and the
58 the actual contents of -O3 have changed. The same applies of course
59 to march=athlon-xp. One (harmless) example where this applies is
60 '-fforce-mem'. This option will be completly removed with gcc-4.2,
61 does nothing with gcc-4.1, but is activated with '-O3' for
62 gcc-3.4.x.
63
64 More generally: After doing some experiments, i've decided to use
65 CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe". I don't think that my system would
66 be noticeably faster with -O3, as -O3 often gains you nothing.
67 '-fomit-frame-pointer' may give you a few percent, but it may interfere
68 with debuging.
69
70 >From the gentoo-x86-handbook:
71 Mind you that using -fomit-frame-pointer (which doesn't keep the frame
72 pointer in a register for functions that don't need one) might have
73 serious repercussions on the debugging of applications!
74
75 >From the gcc-manual:
76 -O also turns on -fomit-frame-pointer on machines where doing so does
77 not interfere with debugging
78
79 Besides, by looking at the terminal while merging packages, you will
80 soon notice, that lot's of packages add their very own CFLAGS to your
81 default ones. For example mplayer or xine-lib was compiled with '-O3' on
82 my system, allthough i have '-O2' in my CFLAGS. (As far as i know, "gcc
83 -O3 -O2" == "gcc -O3").
84
85 > Bad compiler output is another thing.
86
87 In this exactly is the reason, i told you to better rebuild your whole
88 system:
89 1.) emerge -e system so that all base packages (especially gcc,
90 libtool, glibc, !python!, ...) are ok.
91 2.) emerge -e world so that all your packages are rebuild with your
92 fixed toolchain.
93
94 If you still problems with openoffice afterwards, it is sure that
95 they are not related to your CFLAGS. Only then it makes sense to me to
96 look at this problem more in detail.
97
98 Have a nice day,
99 Matthias