From: Roger Mason <rmason@×××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] x86 boot failure
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 10:04:18
1 Hello Andrea,
2
3 Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net> writes:
4
5 > I would check the processor type setting (A 3GHz Celeron should be
6 > P4-based) and/or muck around with ACPI. Also try disabling framebuffer
7 > drivers and using a plain VGA console.
8 >
9 > Leave all advanced settings in your bios to their defaults.
10 >
11 > And no, EM64T just means it *can* run amd64 -- i686 is fine and IMO a
12 > lot better for that kind of hardware if you do not absolutely need to
13 > run 64-bit code for some reason.
14
15 That is what I thought.
16
17 I looked into the BIOS: no AHCI support. I edited the genkernel .config
18 and set the various SATA drivers as built-in. There seemed to be
19 nothing wrong with grub or its configuration (I rebuilt it anyway, just
20 in case). In the end I gave up and installed the machine as an amd64.
21 I may know today how that turned out: my install script shuts the
22 machine down at the end and I'll need to get someone to re-boot it for
23 me as I'm not in the office.
24
25 I'll let you know what happened.
26
27 Thanks Andrea and everyone else for your help.
28
29 Roger