From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] x86 boot failure
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 11:31:48
1 On 7 May, Roger Mason wrote:
2 > Hello Andrea,
3 >
4 > Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net> writes:
5 >
6 >> I would check the processor type setting (A 3GHz Celeron should be
7 >> P4-based) and/or muck around with ACPI. Also try disabling framebuffer
8 >> drivers and using a plain VGA console.
9 >>
10 >> Leave all advanced settings in your bios to their defaults.
11 >>
12 >> And no, EM64T just means it *can* run amd64 -- i686 is fine and IMO a
13 >> lot better for that kind of hardware if you do not absolutely need to
14 >> run 64-bit code for some reason.
15 >
16 > That is what I thought.
17 >
18 > I looked into the BIOS: no AHCI support. I edited the genkernel .config
19 > and set the various SATA drivers as built-in. There seemed to be
20 > nothing wrong with grub or its configuration (I rebuilt it anyway, just
21 > in case). In the end I gave up and installed the machine as an amd64.
22 > I may know today how that turned out: my install script shuts the
23 > machine down at the end and I'll need to get someone to re-boot it for
24 > me as I'm not in the office.
25 >
26 > I'll let you know what happened.
27 >
28 > Thanks Andrea and everyone else for your help.
31 One more hint (that I've got earlier on this list)
32
33 Boot from a rescue CD (preferably
34 http://www.sysresccd.org/
35 )
36
37 then execute
38 lspci -k
39
40 it shows you all drivers that have been selected during boot.
41
42 Good luck,
43 Helmut.
47 Helmut Jarausch