From: Dirk Heinrichs <ext-dirk.heinrichs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB, udev, and SCSI emulation
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 08:53:58
1 Am Donnerstag, 2. März 2006 19:44 schrieb ext Wes Gray:
2
3 > I've been researching getting my camera to work and I have a few
4 > questions. I'm running udev and kernel 2.6.15.1.
5
6 What kind of camera is this? Some can be used via USB mass storage support,
7 other's can only be accessed via gphoto2.
8
9 > 1) For USB mass storage to work do I still need SCSI emulation or does
10 > udev remove that requirement?
11
12 USB mass storage devices are treated just like SCSI devices, no emulation
13 needed.
14
15 > 2) If so do I still need to pass the kernel parameter hdc=ide-scsi?
16
17 This is unrelated to USB mass storage. It's SCSI emulation for IDE devices
18 (mostly CD writers).
19
20 > 3) Should SCSI emulation be automatic with udev, or might I need to write
21 > a rule for it?
22
23 Udev has nothing to to with SCSI emulation. SCSI emulation happens in the
24 kernel, udev runs in userland. However, if you _want_ your SCSI device to
25 have a different name than sda1 for example, you have to write a udev rule.
26
27 > 4) If SCSI emulation is working will I alway see a line in dmesg about a
28 > new SCSI device? Most howto's seem to suggest this but I want to
29 > be sure.
30
31 Yes. Again unrelated to SCSI emulation. The SCSI subsystem will print out a
32 line for each new SCSI device, emulated or real.
33
34 HTH...
35
36 Dirk
37 --
38 Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
39 Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
40 Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@×××××××××.com
41 Hambornerstraße 55 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
42 D-40472 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
43 GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: www.keyserver.net