From: Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How low can you go?
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 11:51:00
1 On 04/03/11 20:04, Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 21:09:56 -0500, Dale wrote:
6 >>> I wonder if we could put Linux on a old Vic-20? I think I got one out
7 >>> in the old shed somewhere.
8 >>>
9 >> It's been done on a C-64, but I think a 3.5KB box with no mass storage
10 >> might be a little too challenging.
14 > I had the little cassette thing to store my stuff on. I think the OS
15 > in on a ROM which would be hard to get around unless the ROM was
16 > changed. Then it may not really be a Vic-20 anymore. I'm not sure
17 > about the C64 since I got me a 20Mhz oscilloscope to work on TVs and
18 > stuff. I still got the scope tho.
19 >
20 > My biggest use for my old Vic-20 was a alarm clock. Worked fine
21 > unless the power went out. Well, that sounds like todays alarm
22 > clock. lol I guess some things never change.
23 >
24 > Dale
25 >
26 > :-) :-)
27 >
28 The ol' Vic-20 was my first computer as well. I remember you had two
29 choices; boot from a cartridge (usually a game, Radar Rat Race was one
30 of my favourites), or boot from the internal O/S. if you chose the
31 latter, you could (IIRC) issue a "load <program_name>" and it would go
32 to the cassette tape drive and start reading, so very very slowly, the
33 tape from the beginning and try to find a program with the name you
34 specified. I had a subscription to "Compute" magazine, and entered the
35 programs from there in either Basic or binary, and was amazed at what it
36 could do. I even tried to do some of my own programs in Basic, but at
37 about 6-8 years old, it was a bit beyond me. :-P
38
39 Jake