From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Python precision
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 07:22:03
1 Am Fri, 21 Sep 2012 02:31:45 -0400
2 schrieb Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>:
3
4 [...]
5 > > 120919 Marc Joliet described how to set a level of precision:
6 >
7 > Thanks too, but that's not what I wanted: it's not for printing,
8 > but simply to limit the display to eg 4 decimal places, not 16 ;
9 > the calculations still wb as accurate, but the output easier to read.
10 > Is that possible with Python ? -- ie a setting in ascript.py
11 > to tell Python to display only the 1st 4 places in all output
12 > without any further input from the user when doing the calculations;
13 > presumably it wb a command s/he could enter when in interactive mode too.
14
15 I couldn't find anything for regular python on the fly (except by using the
16 "decimal" module, see
17 http://docs.python.org/library/decimal.html#module-decimal), but I found out
18 that IPython can do this by configuring its output formatters appropriately. To
19 limit to 6 decimal places, my configuration would look like this:
20
21 c.PlainTextFormatter.float_precision = '6'
22
23 I would expect that all they do is implement hook functions that you could also
24 put in place yourself, but to find out how to do it would require more digging
25 than I have time for right now. Maybe you will find something first :) .
26
27 HTH
28 --
29 Marc Joliet
30 --
31 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
32 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup