From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Local mail server
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 16:04:20
1 On Sunday, 19 July 2020 16:48:29 BST antlists wrote:
2 > On 19/07/2020 15:18, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > So I'm asking what systems other people use. I can't be unusual in what I
4 > > want, so there must be lots of solutions out there somewhere. Would anyone
5 > > like to offer me some advice?
6 >
7 > Doing my best to remember my setup ...
8 >
9 > Running postfix as my mail server. I never managed to get it working to
10 > SEND email, so clients had to be configured to send straight to my ISP.
11 > Don't send to google - it rewrites the headers ...
12 >
13 > Used fetchmail to download, until an upgrade/fix/something broke MySQL
14 > so all my virtual email addresses broke.
15 >
16 > Use Courier-IMAP to provide access from clients to the mail store.
17 >
18 > I *think* that's all, but I dunno how long my system has been running
19 > (it hasn't even been updated for a couple of years :-( and apart from
20 > that MySQL problem it's been running untouched pretty much from day 1.
21 >
22 > Cheers,
23 > Wol
24
25 Notwithstanding a recent security vulnerability net-mail/dovecot may be able
26 to do all you want/need from a home mailserver.