From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] no network "eth0" after upgrade.
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 15:29:09
1 On Sunday, December 20, 2015 05:54:19 AM Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 151220 J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On 20 December 2015 05:19:13 CET, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
4 wrote:
5 > >> My Fstab has long had these lines :
6 > >> # NB The next line is critical for boot!
7 > >> none /proc proc defaults 0 0
8 > >>
9 > >> When did this change & why ? Does anyone know ?
10 > >
11 > > It's been deprecated for a while. Not sure when, it was in a news item.
12 > > It certainly hasn't been in stage3 tarballs for the past 2 years.
13 >
14 > I checked the default Fstab which came with Stage 3
15 > & there's no sign of it, so I deleted it, rebooted & everything works.
16 > There were also these lines :
17 > # >= glibc 2.2 expect tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm
18 > # for POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
19 > # tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk
20 > # and will use almost no memory if not populated with files.
21 > # Adding the following line should take care of this:
22 > none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
23 > I deleted them too & it seems to have had no effect.
24 >
25 > However, I was amused to see that the Stage 3 Fstab does have the line :
26 > /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto 0 0
27 > Does anyone still use diskettes ? Today's mobos have no slot for them.
28
29 I actually still have a drive and some diskettes.
30 I also have a USB diskdrive somewhere...
31
32 Haven't actually checked any mobos for floppy-connectors. Got some old ones
33 that do have a connector.
36 Joost