From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sharing /home and swap
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 02:51:38
1 On Dec 28, 2011 9:40 AM, "Nilesh Govindarajan" <contact@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > On Dec 28, 2011 7:52 AM, "Andrew Lowe" <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Hi all,
7 > > I usually use Gentoo as my "normal" Linux but a third party app
8 I'm about to start using only runs on SUSE. To this end, I'm about to set
9 aside a smaller partition and install the minimal amnount of SUSE I need to
10 run the app. My question is regarding /home and swap. Is there anything in
11 my current Gentoo /home and swap that "locks" them to the Gentoo install or
12 can I share them between the two installs? What I mean by share is that
13 when I boot up Gentoo can I mount /home and swap and everything is fully
14 accessible and then reboot into SUSE and once again mount them and
15 everything is once again fully accessible?
16 > >
17 > > I'm not doing anything "snazzy" such as LVM or encryption, just
18 bog standard Linux. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
19 > >
20 > > Regards,
21 > > Andrew
22 > >
23 > Another important factor is desktop environment. Various settings can
24 cause troubles in either ones.
25
26 True.
27
28 My suggestion would be to not share your ~ directly, but instead share
29 something *under* ~
30
31 E.g. :
32
33 mkdir ~/sharedstuff
34 mount /dev/sdxx ~/sharedstuff
35
36 Another alternative would be to ensure that you are not using the same
37 username in both OS, and just do a bindmount.
38
39 Rgds,