From: Steven G Wagner <digital9ja@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Tulip driver problems; eth0 does not exist..."netmount" was not started...
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 01:08:22
1 > Are you sure it's the tulip.o driver you want,
2
3 I'm pretty sure that's the one I need based on posts I've found by others
4 who are using the same card/chipset. If I could be sure it was loading and
5 eth0 was still not working I would assess that I need a different driver.
6 However, I don't believe I've been able to get the tulip driver loaded yet.
7
8 > You said that autoloading failed - can you paste the *exact* error
9 >message? What happens if you try 'modprobe tulip' by hand, as root?
10
11 Okay, I went back into menuconfig and enabled tulip family network device
12 support. Then I enabled the second dec... selection as a module and <*>
13 before each of the subheadings under this selection. Everything else in the
14 list of tulip family drivers is unselected. I added tulip to my
15 /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 file.
16
17 On reboot,
19 Failed to load tulip...
20
21 As root, modprobe tulip:
22 FATAL: module tulip not found
26 -----Original Message-----
27 From: Ryan Tandy [mailto:tarpman@×××××××××××××××××.com]
28 Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2006 5:10 PM
29 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
30 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tulip driver problems; eth0 does not
31 exist..."netmount" was not started...
32
33 Steven G Wagner wrote:
34 > I have a working hardened system, 2.6.16-hardened-r11, but I can't seem to
35 > get eth0 recognized. My NIC is a Netgear FA310TX Rev D2 and I found that
36 it
37 > uses the "Tulip" driver.
38 >
39 > I've tried compiling this driver by itself into the kernel both built-in
40 and
41 > as a module. I've tried compiling the entire "Tulip" family of drivers
42 into
43 > my kernel, trying <*> next to every possible selection under "Tulip" and
44 > again using <m> in every instance allowed. I listed "tulip" in
45 > /etc/modules.autoload.d and it failed at boot, even though it was compiled
46 > as a module.
47 >
48 > Everything is copasetic when I boot off the livecd and I can ping google,
49 > etc. I tried emerging hotplug as one forum post I found indicated, but to
50 no
51 > avail. I've done my best to find posts related to this, seemingly, common
52 > issue, but nothing has worked for me and I can't think of anything else to
53 > try. I've combed the handbook as well, but nothing there has helped me.
54 >
55 > If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. I have used Hardened
56 > Gentoo before, but not on this older machine.
57 >
58 > Thanks a lot for any help,
59 >
60 > Steve
63 Hi,
64
65 I'm using the Tulip driver on one of my older boxes too. Under the
66 "Tulip family" selection in menuconfig, only one of them actually
67 compiles the tulip.o module - I forget the name of it (DEC something),
68 but last time I built a kernel it was second in the list. For it to
69 work properly, I had to enable all the options for the tulip module -
70 new bus layout, interrupt mitigation, whatever other fancy things it has
71 there. Are you sure it's the tulip.o driver you want, or is it some
72 other driver from the tulip family?
73
74 You said that autoloading failed - can you paste the *exact* error
75 message? What happens if you try 'modprobe tulip' by hand, as root?
76
77 Ryan
78 --
79 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
84 No virus found in this incoming message.
85 Checked by AVG Free Edition.
90 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list