From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Once again baffled by portage
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 15:02:35
1 On Friday 18 January 2008 15:36:29 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > > > Roll on KDE4 when this monolithic nonsense will go away and there
3 > > > will only be -meta ebuilds.
4 > >
5 > > Actually it was decided to keep monolithics in KDE 4.0.0. Splits are
6 > > now the default which means they are listed first in any-of
7 > > dependency blocks such as e.g. || ( kde-base/kompare:kde-4
8 > > kde-base/kdesdk:kde-4 ) in KDE 4. But monos are still around. There
9 > > is a list of the monos in the url I posted in another mail to this
10 > > thread.
11 >
12 > Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Obviously my most current info is
13 > out of date.
14 >
15 > But why was that decision taken? I understand keeping it for kde-3.5.x
16 > users, but kde-4 is essentially an entirely different product, and
17 > the -meta ebuilds do everything the monolithic ones ever did. The
18 > configure steps do add time though, but other than that everything
19 > seems to work the same
20
21 Well, it wasn't really my decision. ;) But I can say that a pro is that it
22 provides the users with a choice and the maintainance overhead when compared
23 to only doing splits isn't really all that big. The only real con in my
24 opinion is that it confuses those who haven't read the kde-split document
25 before installing kde.
28 Bo Andresen