From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Once again baffled by portage
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:43:09
1 On Friday 18 January 2008, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2 > On Thursday 17 January 2008 17:06:28 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > Roll on KDE4 when this monolithic nonsense will go away and there
4 > > will only be -meta ebuilds.
5 >
6 > Actually it was decided to keep monolithics in KDE 4.0.0. Splits are
7 > now the default which means they are listed first in any-of
8 > dependency blocks such as e.g. || ( kde-base/kompare:kde-4
9 > kde-base/kdesdk:kde-4 ) in KDE 4. But monos are still around. There
10 > is a list of the monos in the url I posted in another mail to this
11 > thread.
12
13 Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Obviously my most current info is
14 out of date.
15
16 But why was that decision taken? I understand keeping it for kde-3.5.x
17 users, but kde-4 is essentially an entirely different product, and
18 the -meta ebuilds do everything the monolithic ones ever did. The
19 configure steps do add time though, but other than that everything
20 seems to work the same
23 Alan McKinnon
24 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
25 --