From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - I've built my cross-compilation environment; now what?
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 06:18:04
1 On Wednesday 15 March 2006 12:48, Michael Sullivan
2 <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote about '[gentoo-user] OT - I've built my
3 cross-compilation environment; now what?':
4 > I've succeeded in building a cross-compilation environment for an i586
5 > on an i686 via crossdev, but I'm unsure how to use it. Can anyone help
6 > me? There are no docs for crossdev in /usr/share/doc, no man pages for
7 > it that I can find, and no info pages. I looked at the log files
8
9 Good luck finding solid cross-compilation documentation for /any/
10 environment. That's black magic only practiced by high-geeks. ;) Even
11 they avoid it when possible because of the high toll on the practitioners
12 sanity. ;)
13
14 Most of us only use the cross-compilation toolchain for such geek-bishop
15 activities as distcc.
16
17 > crossdev created when I ran it and I see things like this:
18 > >>> emerge (1 of 1) cross-i586-gnu-linux/gcc-3.4.5-r1 to /
19 >
20 > But when I try to emerge things myself for the environment, emerge
21 > doesn't know what I'm talking about:
22 >
23 > camille ~ # emerge cross-i586-gnu-linux/mysql
24 > Calculating dependencies
25 > emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "cross-i586-gnu-linux/mysql".
26
27 It's not quite that easy. You may need to change your make.conf,
28 make.profile, and /etc/portage to correct values for the TARGET
29 architecture (emerge will still use them and a -march=i686 will ruin the
30 packages you build, even if you use i586-pc-linux-gnu-gcc to build them),
31 then make sure and run emerge with the ROOT in your environment set to
32 where you want the alternate installation rooted.
33
34 Check out http://dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/CROSS-COMPILE-HOWTO . Specifically
35 the very bottom (Step 9) where he talks about installing stuff.
36
37 WARNING: I've heard some ebuilds don't respect ROOT and/or that ROOT is
38 ignored if you try and specify it in make.conf.
39
40 NB: The cross-* categories are only for the toolchain. Other packages
41 don't use their category for cross-compiling.
44 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
45 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
46 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
47 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list