From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] horrible gedit dependencies
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 23:37:39
1 070308 Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 16:23 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> I don't have a sound card & have removed all sound software from my box.
4 >> Whyever would Gedit want sound pkgs or a CD burner ??
5 > It doesn't.
6
7 I don't mean to start an argument, but it does "want" them, as I said,
8 even if they are not stated deps in the ebuild. My USE flags are:
9
10 USE="-* apm bitmap-fonts bonobo bzip2 cdr crypt cups dri foomaticdb
11 gcj gdbm gif gnutls gpm gtk gtk2 imagemagick imlib java javascript jpeg
12 kde lcms libwww lm_sensors mime motif mpeg ncurses nptl nptlonly
13 nsplugin nvidia opengl pcre pdf perl plotutils png pop python
14 qt3 readline scanner session slang ssl
15 tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts unicode usb X xml xorg xv zlib"
16
17 ie I drop them all, then define those I deliberately want.
18 If Gedit drags in all deps for the Gnome desktop, then my question is:
19 whyever would the Gnome desktop want sound pkgs or a CD burner ??
20 and perhaps too: why does Gedit drag in all the Gnome desktop deps ??
21 If the answer is "That's just the way Gnome does things",
22 that tends to confirm the correctness of my avoidance of Gnome
23 in favor of KDE & (installed, but not used) Xfce (smile).
24
25 > AFAIK there is no ebuild for Kwrite. Kwrite is part of Kdebase
26 > which will still pull in a bunch that the OP isn't interested in.
27
28 Kwrite is included under Kate, which is a separate Gentoo pkg,
29 but what I should have refered to is Kedit:
30
31 eix kedit
32 * kde-base/kedit
33 Available versions: (3.5) 3.5.5 ~3.5.6
34 Homepage: http://www.kde.org/
37 The simplest editor I know is 'e3', which I sometimes use:
38 it's not GUI, but it's very quick & easy (I use the 'Nedit' mode).
39 Gvim is my mainstay for most things, of course.
40
41 HTH the OP.
45 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
46 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
47 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list