From: "Bruce Hill
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The End Is Near ... or, get the vaseline, they're on the way!
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 07:27:51
1 On March 18, 2012 at 2:30 AM Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:57 PM, Bruce Hill, Jr.
4 > <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
8 > > On March 17, 2012 at 8:43 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
9 > >
10 > > <snip>
11 > >> initramfs side of things. I did have to use one to bring up my server
12 > >> with / on a RAID6, not because I needed it long term but in the short
13 > >> term I couldn't determine how mdadm was numbering the RAID so that I
14 > >> could get grub.conf correct. I'm somehow a bot worried something is
15 > >> going to slip by the devs and I'd be better off having an initramfs
16 > >> already running on the box when I do allow the upgrades.
17 > >>
18 > >> Planning on giving Dracut a try.
19 > >>
20 > >> Thanks,
21 > >> Mark
22 > >>
25 > > The real short of this is that if you use 0.90 superblocks, and /boot
26 on
27 > > it's own little partition, your kernel can assembly your
28 > > RAID<whateverlevel> without an initrd image. You will reboot with the
29 > > /dev/md0 you created as /dev/md0. And unless you have partitions (or is
30 it
31 > > single drives) over 2TB, you can use metadata=0.90.
32 > >
33 > > As they say, Works For Me (R).
34 > >
35 > > I've yet to read a simple explanation of HOW-TO do this in a Gentoo doc
36 > > (not that it doesn't exist), but you can follow this very simple
37 > > README_RAID used in Slackware to build them on Gentoo:
38 > >
39 > > http://slackware.oregonstate.edu/slackware64-current/README_RAID.TXT
40 >
41 > I recall reading on this list a week or two ago that kernel
42 > autoassembly of 0.90 arrays was deprecated. :(
43 >
44 > --
45 > :wq
48 Works on my computers.
49 --
50 Happy Penguin Computers >`)
51 126 Fenco Drive ( \
52 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
53 662-269-2706; 662-491-8613
54 support at happypenguincomputers dot com
55 http://www.happypenguincomputers.com