From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The End Is Near ... or, get the vaseline, they're on the way!
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 06:32:20
1 On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:57 PM, Bruce Hill, Jr.
2 <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > On March 17, 2012 at 8:43 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >
8 > <snip>
9 >> initramfs side of things. I did have to use one to bring up my server
10 >> with / on a RAID6, not because I needed it long term but in the short
11 >> term I couldn't determine how mdadm was numbering the RAID so that I
12 >> could get grub.conf correct. I'm somehow a bot worried something is
13 >> going to slip by the devs and I'd be better off having an initramfs
14 >> already running on the box when I do allow the upgrades.
15 >>
16 >> Planning on giving Dracut a try.
17 >>
18 >> Thanks,
19 >> Mark
23 > The real short of this is that if you use 0.90 superblocks, and /boot on
24 > it's own little partition, your kernel can assembly your
25 > RAID<whateverlevel> without an initrd image. You will reboot with the
26 > /dev/md0 you created as /dev/md0. And unless you have partitions (or is it
27 > single drives) over 2TB, you can use metadata=0.90.
28 >
29 > As they say, Works For Me (R).
30 >
31 > I've yet to read a simple explanation of HOW-TO do this in a Gentoo doc
32 > (not that it doesn't exist), but you can follow this very simple
33 > README_RAID used in Slackware to build them on Gentoo:
34 >
35 > http://slackware.oregonstate.edu/slackware64-current/README_RAID.TXT
36
37 I recall reading on this list a week or two ago that kernel
38 autoassembly of 0.90 arrays was deprecated. :(
41 :wq