From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: btrfs raid 5/6
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 00:13:47
1 On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 06:35:10PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 6:28 PM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I don’t really care about performance. It’s a simple media archive powered
5 > > by the cheapest Haswell Celeron I could get (with 16 Gigs of ECC RAM though
6 > > ^^). Sorry if I more or less stole the thread, but this is almost the same
7 > > topic. I could use a nudge in either direction. My workplace’s storage
8 > > comprises many 2× mirrors, but I am not a company and I am capped at four
9 > > bays.
10 > >
11 > > So, Do you have any input for me before I fetch the dice?
14 > IMO the cost savings for parity RAID trumps everything unless money
15 > just isn't a factor.
16
17 Cost saving compared to what? In my four-bay-scenario, mirror and raidz2
18 yield the same available space (I hope so).
21 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
22 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
23
24 Advanced mathematics have the advantage that you can err more accurately.