From: "Ivan T. Ivanov" <iivanov@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Booting LiveCD iso from hard drive with GRUB legacy
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 07:17:08
1 Hi,
2
3 > -----Original Message-----
4 > From: Mick [mailto:michaelkintzios@×××××.com]
5 > Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2013 7:25 PM
6 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting LiveCD iso from hard drive with GRUB
8 > legacy
9 >
10 > On Saturday 18 May 2013 16:11:13 Ivan T. Ivanov wrote:
11 >
12 > > I do have following in my grub/menu.lst and it is working fine.
13 > >
14 > > title PC-Doctor DOS
15 > > root (hd0,0)
16 > > kernel /boot/memdisk iso
17 > > initrd /boot/pcdoctor.iso
18 > >
19 > > This is sys-boot/grub 0.97-r12
20 >
21 > I'm on the same GRUB version.
22 >
23 > Unfortunately, I don't have enough space to place the ISO in the /boot
24 > partition and I don't use an initrd.
25
26 initrd is an option/command of the grub itself, instead of pcdoctor.iso knopix iso image
27 have to be specified and regarding space limitation ... image could be placed anywhere in
28 the file system only requirements is that it have to be mounted/accessible by grub during
29 boot.
32 > Trying this stanza:
33 >
34 > title KNOPPIX ISO
35 > root (hd0,9) <-- this is my current boot partition <--
36 > chainloader (hd0,10)/KNOPPIX_V7.0.5DVD-2012-12-21-EN.iso
37 >
38 > Gives me this error: Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format,
39 > which tells me that it doesn't like/recognise the particular ISO image.
40 >
41 > Trying to understand your grub entry - what is /boot/memdisk? Have you
42 > built
43 > some eltorito image for your purpose? How does it work?
44
45 I am not sure how memdisk is working :-), it is part of sys-boot/syslinux
46 My understanding is that grub is loading memdisk as a kernel/os with an
47 option 'iso' and initrd option specifies what to mount as a rootfs??
48
49 Regards,
50 Ivan
51