From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting LiveCD iso from hard drive with GRUB legacy
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 13:17:04
1 On Monday 20 May 2013 08:18:55 Ivan T. Ivanov wrote:
2
3 > > -----Original Message-----
4 > > From: Mick [mailto:michaelkintzios@×××××.com]
5
6 > > Unfortunately, I don't have enough space to place the ISO in the /boot
7 > > partition and I don't use an initrd.
8 >
9 > initrd is an option/command of the grub itself, instead of pcdoctor.iso
10 > knopix iso image have to be specified and regarding space limitation ...
11 > image could be placed anywhere in the file system only requirements is
12 > that it have to be mounted/accessible by grub during boot.
13
14 OK, I pointed initrd to (hd0,10)/KNOPPIX......iso, but I don't know how to
15 mount /dev/sda11 as part of the booting process.
16
17 This is how I specified it:
18
19 title Knoppix ISO
20 root (hd0,9)
21 kernel /boot/isolinux/memdisk iso raw
22 initrd (hd0,10)/KNOPPIX_V7.0.5DVD-2012-12-21-EN.iso
23
24 Where (hd0,9) is my /boot partition and (hd0,10) is a large partition that
25 contains various images.
28 > > Trying to understand your grub entry - what is /boot/memdisk? Have you
29 > > built
30 > > some eltorito image for your purpose? How does it work?
31 >
32 > I am not sure how memdisk is working :-), it is part of sys-boot/syslinux
33 > My understanding is that grub is loading memdisk as a kernel/os with an
34 > option 'iso' and initrd option specifies what to mount as a rootfs??
35
36 Yes, that's right:
37
38 http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/MEMDISK
41 Unfortunately, it can only boot some images it seems, or it can only boot them
42 if they have been stored in /boot. I copied memdisk from the KNOPPIX DVD to
43 my /boot, grub finds it and runs it, but then it fails to load the Knoppix ISO
44 with this error:
45
46 MEMDISK: No ramdisk image specified!
50 Regards,