From: "Ivan T. Ivanov" <iivanov@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Booting LiveCD iso from hard drive with GRUB legacy
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 14:23:28
1 > This is how I specified it:
2 >
3 > title Knoppix ISO
4 > root (hd0,9)
5 > kernel /boot/isolinux/memdisk iso raw
6 > initrd (hd0,10)/KNOPPIX_V7.0.5DVD-2012-12-21-EN.iso
7 >
8 > Where (hd0,9) is my /boot partition and (hd0,10) is a large partition that
9 > contains various images.
12 > > > Trying to understand your grub entry - what is /boot/memdisk? Have
13 > you
14 > > > built
15 > > > some eltorito image for your purpose? How does it work?
16 > >
17 > > I am not sure how memdisk is working :-), it is part of sys-boot/syslinux
18 > > My understanding is that grub is loading memdisk as a kernel/os with an
19 > > option 'iso' and initrd option specifies what to mount as a rootfs??
20 >
21 > Yes, that's right:
22 >
23 > http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/MEMDISK
26 > Unfortunately, it can only boot some images it seems, or it can only boot
27 > them
28 > if they have been stored in /boot. I copied memdisk from the KNOPPIX DVD
30 > my /boot, grub finds it and runs it, but then it fails to load the Knoppix ISO
31 > with this error:
32 >
33 > MEMDISK: No ramdisk image specified!
34
35 Too bad. I don't know. Have you tried this one: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52419
36
37 Regards,