From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting LiveCD iso from hard drive with GRUB legacy
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 15:04:29
1 On Monday 20 May 2013 15:25:17 Ivan T. Ivanov wrote:
2
3 > > Unfortunately, it can only boot some images it seems, or it can only boot
4 > > them
5 > > if they have been stored in /boot. I copied memdisk from the KNOPPIX DVD
7 > > my /boot, grub finds it and runs it, but then it fails to load the
8 > > Knoppix ISO
9 > >
10 > > with this error:
11 > > MEMDISK: No ramdisk image specified!
12 >
13 > Too bad. I don't know. Have you tried this one:
14 > http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52419
15
16 Thanks Ivan, yes it can be made to boot from a hard drive if the iso is
17 unpacked and GRUB pointed to the kernel and initrd images, which should also
18 be saved on the drive. I was looking for a way to boot directly the iso file
19 itself. It seems that the solution for some ISOs with which memdisk won't
20 work, is to use GRUB 2.
23 Regards,
24 Mick