From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] msmtp vs. nullmailer
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 05:27:59
1 On Monday 08 Jun 2015 23:45:36 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 08, 2015 at 11:47:04AM +0200, Marc Joliet wrote
3 >
4 > > So my question is: what is your preference, nullmailer or msmtp
5 > > (or neither?), and why?
6 >
7 > I'm still using ssmtp. It still works. I look at it this way...
8 > there's no more development being done, because it's already perfect
9 > <G>. It'll go into background mode if an email is sent, and the
10 > receiving MTA doesn't accept within approx 45 seconds or so.
11
12 It doesn't work for all cases. If you use symbols in your email password the
13 login fails. I tried escaping them, but have not been successful and found
14 that it is a bug.
17 > I also like the fact that there's one config file.
18
19 Well, there' also the revaliases file.
22 > My dialup script
23 > (emergency backup when ADSL is down) runs su to copy over the ssmtp.conf
24 > file with the dialup ISP's MTA. When I sign off, the "dialdown" script
25 > runs su to copy over the ssmtp.conf file with the ADSL ISP's MTA.
28 Regards,
29 Mick