From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] IPTABLES syntax change?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 16:39:11
1 On 12/27/12 06:28, Graham Murray wrote:
2 > Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> The 'conntrack' module is supposed to be a superset of 'state', so most
5 >> things should be compatible. You really have two warnings there; the
6 >> first is for the state -> conntrack switch, and the second is because
7 >> you're missing the --state flag in your rules.
8 >>
9 >> In your example, you turn on the state matching,
10 >>
11 >> iptables -A TCP_IN -p tcp -m state -m tcp -j UNSOLICITED
12 >>
13 >> but you don't specify *which* state(s) you want to match. It wants you
14 >> to specify --state SOMETHING. I'd guess that it used to interpret "no
15 >> state" as "any state."
16 >
17 > The problem is not really the OP's fault. The problem is that if you
18 > have tables with the form "-m state --state XXX" at the point you
19 > upgrade, iptables-save (quite possibly called automatically by
20 > /etc/init.d/iptables stop) will save it as "-m state --state" - ie
21 > 'forgetting' which state(s) the rule applies to.
24 Youch, thanks, I'll keep an eye out for this when iptables wants a bump.
25 I already keep the rules in a script, but it sounds like this will
26 clobber the running rules after e.g. a reboot.
27
28 My first -m state rule is,
29
30 iptables -A INPUT -p ALL -m state \
31 --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
32
33 And if what you say is true, I'd be in deep shit if it reset to,
34
35 iptables -A INPUT -p ALL -m state -j ACCEPT
36
37 without a warning.
41 > I think that this is a serious enough change in behaviour that an elog
42 > warning should have been issued.
43
44 It's not stable yet, right? File a bug (and CC me, please).