From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-box stopping services
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:32:07
1 Am 21.04.2010 11:09, schrieb Stroller:
2
3 >> OK, a bit more RAM wouldn't hurt here.
4 >> But I am compiling stuff right now.
5 >
6 > I would add more.
7 >
8 > Services mysteriously dying, surely that could be because the kernel is
9 > killing them off due to an out-of-memory condition?
10
11 Shouldn't the kernel *swap* then ?
12
13 I suggested adding RAM there, sure ...
14
15 > Maybe you have changed to a different compiler version in the past, and
16 > this creates larger binaries?
17
18 current version of gcc: 4.3.2-r3 (04:13:52 18.04.2009)
19
20 So it is about one year old, no changes since then. The symptoms only
21 started some week ago or two ...
22
23 I rather wonder about that f-secure scanner "fsav" ... I had to manually
24 fiddle it onto the system and it takes quite much ram and cpu.
25
26 But it is installed since june 2009 as well.
27
28 > I seem to get into more trouble when I'm cautious with updates than I do
29 > when I just let 'em rip as often as possible. More frequent updates
30 > means fewer updates.
31
32 I have to find some sweet spot here. I have quite many servers out there
33 at customers sites ... noone so far pays me for regularly emerging world
34 there ... this has to change, you are right ;-)
35
36 Stefan